Spirituality is a broad concept with room for many perspectives. In general, it includes a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves, and it typically involves a search for meaning in life. As such, it is a universal human experience—something that touches us all.
Religion is a set of texts, practices and beliefs about the transcendent shared by a community, and involves a relationship with God. Spirituality, on the other hand, is about a person’s relationship with the transcendent questions that confront one as a human being. This may or may not involve relationships with God. Therefore; Spirituality should not be confused with Religion.
According to Jeanette Schneider, a self-help expert and author of LORE: Harnessing Your Past to Create Your Future; “It isn’t a class, a church group, or a belief system. It is the moments when you are quiet, reflective, and intentional that you become your teacher and guide— and it is in those moments that you commune with your own higher power and answers become clear.”
So if it isn’t about going to church or studying the Quran, then how can you make conscious efforts to become more spiritual? It is quite easy actually. To become a more spiritual, happier person you can do a lot. For example, you can;
- Help people, just by smiling at them, or reaching out and hugging someone, or by volunteering at the closest soup kitchen you can find,
- Learn to love yourself as it is essential to connect with the love, peace, and joy of spirit,
- Find a Spiritual Community and join it,
- Work on congratulating people on their successes instead of being envious,
- Start a Gratitude Journal and keep writing on it every day,
- Take more opportunities to listen and follow what your gut tells you to do,
- Be honest to yourself and others, quit lying and pretending and express who you are, not who you want others to think you are,
- Be patient and keep your cool,
- Forgive and let it go,
- Laugh more,
- And of course; meditate, meditate, meditate.
Spirituality is a way of gaining perspective. It recognizes that your role in life has a greater value than what you do every day. It can relieve you from dependence on material things and help you to understand your life’s greater purpose. It can also be used as a way of coping with change or uncertainty.
And we all need to be more spiritual to overcome various hardships of life. Because life gets more and more hectic and kind of crazy, and we need to be able to live with it somehow. Why not helping ourselves with a touch of Spirituality?