Growing up, becoming an adult takes time and effort. When I turn back and look at my 25 years old self when I became a mother, I see that I was a child myself.
At the time I thought I was the wisest and most mature woman in the world. What an illusion. I am 50 now. Would it be accurate to say that I am as grown up as I can be? Absolutely not.
The evolution never stops, our metamorphosis never ends until our last breath. Today I am not who I was when I turned 25 or who will I be when I turn 75. The only thing I am sure about is that with age comes experience and a broader perspective on life. I judge much less and I accept much more. I have more empathy, less antipathy. I try to understand better before I react. A genuine hug makes me happier than getting an expensive gift.
Life is simpler than you think it is. You can accelerate the process of growing up and being an adult – no matter how old you are – by following these little instructions:
- Take responsibility for the life you live, the status you are in, no matter where you are and no matter how you feel.
- Clarify your values and accordingly determine what you want from life.
- Decide on how you want to feel, and take steps towards that state of mind.
- Erase memories that are incompatible with what you want. Because those memories don’t define you.
- Create new and realistic memories that match your values today.
- Use your imagination.
- Keep your thoughts and intentions in harmony.
If you are reading this, it is proof that you are well ahead of the game anyway. Keep recreating and reinventing yourself.